Sunday, December 19, 2010

Fine Dining


This story begins with 2 overconfident parents that had previously taken their baby to a restaurant and had nothing but sleepy time. So why not roll the dice again and try some delicious fine cuisine. It was Friday night and Chilean Sea Bass was calling.

From the moment we sat down, we should have known this wasn’t going to work. First it was the silence of the restaurant; evidently the crowd doesn’t show up at 6:45pm. I asked the DJ (server) if he could play white noise button #4, waterfall but he didn’t catch my humor. Cue baby whimpers. Thought I could order the steak and shrimp, but looks like I am going to have to go with the 5 minute fish, no appetizers. Every server and manager had to stop by to check out their 7 week old guest and to assure us that “a little crying won’t disturb the guests”. I couldn’t help but notice the emphasis on “a little”. Cue baby crying. And the race begins. 1 filet of fish, 3 bites, dinner over. I asked the server for an award for the fastest diner; he wasn’t amused. He asked if we wanted to order the lava cakes that take 10 minutes to cook; I wasn’t amused.

We bolt out of the restaurant, head to the local drive-in burger joint and order two sundaes…I look inside, see the French Fries and plastic forks and a parking lot full of mini-vans. I turn to my beautiful bride- “honey- say hello to date night for the next 10 years”. Baby 2- Parents 0.

2 comments:

B said...

Rudy's BBQ - 0
Chuckie Cheese - 1

Glass of wine - 0
Capri Sun - 1

You are beginning the journey of "fine dining" from a kid's perspective!

Anonymous said...

I love it, the humor is back...baby sitter on the way! Love Mom