Saturday, September 11, 2010

A visit to the Pediatrician


The first visit to our baby’s medical caregiver was another eye opening experience. We walked into a room with about 8 other Prego’s and men in tow. The mood- auspicious, yet tenacious…These girls had lists of questions with answers already in their heads. What should have been an informative, doctor lead discussion turned into a Q&A session riddled with showboating and ignorance.

From the clueless- Can we use baby powder? Can I put my baby on an airplane in 2 weeks? What is the best bottle?

From the experts – Will you accept a temperature from temporal thermometer? Should all baby handlers have TDAP?

From the Golia’s- Like spectators at a zoo- we just sat back and enjoyed the monkeys and the penguins.

The Dr. poured through a list of topics (10+) for over 90 minutes. A few of my favorites- Billing (you will be billed for all services rendered, let us know if you get confused by the volume and severity), Making Appointments (well vs. sick appointments and the difference between the two) and the Pièce de résistance – the Routine Vaccine Schedule…Holy cow there is a shot for everything! Only thing that is missing is a prescription for “I fell off the counter and bumped my head” and “I ate a nickel and pooped a quarter”.

P.S. Our doctor’s name is Benbow (sounds like Bimbo).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!